, ,

Your ARC is important and you need it for everything

Hello! It's Kimmy! I'm here to tell you about ARC stuff.

Seriously, though, you need to have your ARC before you can sign up for anything.

Luckily (from my personal experience), a lot of the registration shenanigans were taken care of by my employer. That will most likely be the case for you, too, if you also have an E2 Visa.

Let's get started!

So... what's an ARC?

ARC stands for Alien Registration Card. It's basically your Korean ID.

Why is it important?

Like I said, it acts as your Korean ID. It has your Foreigner Registration Number (외국인등록번호) on the top, followed by your name, country of citizenship, and your visa information. Therefore, you can use it like a regular ID to buy alcohol or go to bars/what-have-you. Adulting.

*After renewing your visa for another year*

When you go to the Alien Registration Office for the second time, instead of updating the visa sticker in your passport, they'll just re-stamp the back of your ARC with your new duration of stay (ie. whatever the timeframe your contract is - usually about a year).

That last part is important because if you go on a trip to a different country, the airport may ask you how long you plan on visiting - you know, basic flight stuff when you're traveling abroad. I've had an experience where the clerk at the airport was so shook that my passport visa was "expired." I had to show him my ARC and explain that the card gets updated but not the sticker on my passport. It was fine, but it was something stupid that I figured other people may also have to deal with. 

So, to sum that last bit up, remember to always carry your ARC when you travel and print out/screenshot your itinerary to be safe.

What do you use it for?

  • Are you trying to set up a bank account? You need your ARC. 
  • Would you like to have a working cell phone? Yeah, you need your ARC for that, too.  
  • Perhaps you want to go to the doctor? You guessed it! You'll need your ARC to utilize your health insurance. 
  • Maybe signing up for a credit card sounds appealing? That's a whole other can of worms, but yes, you need your ARC for that one as well.

Again, for me personally, I've had to use my ARC for everything listed above. I even needed it when I had to call my health insurance company. You need your ARC information if you're setting up mobile banking or mobile payments, as well.

Also, side note, having a Korean phone number is crucial because most of the things I listed above require phone number verification. 

How do you get one?

Well, first thing's first, you have to have a visa to work in Korea. You probably should get that squared away first before doing anything else.

Then you have to go to the immigration office within the first 90 days that you've arrived to the country. The locations vary based on where you live. You need to reserve a time slot online beforehand. I'm not sure if you can just show up, maybe they'll have you take a number or something, but I wouldn't chance it. 

You need a bunch of documents with you, so make sure you come prepared. Or even over prepared - just to be safe!

This is what I needed:
  • Passport
  • 2 color passport photos
  • A copy of your contract
  • Your address and your company/school's address
  • Your application
    (fill this out beforehand, you may need help from your employer)
  • Fee of ₩10,000

If you're lucky, someone that you work with or a person who's fluent in Korean will go with you. But again, if you're like me, you'll probably have to go by your lonesome. It's okay, though! You're brave and independent! You can do it! 화이팅~!

After you survive all of the aforementioned, all you have to do is wait! It will be mailed to you within a week or so. I had to sign for it when it arrived, so if you're not home, they might end up leaving it with your security office or return the next day for delivery.

Summary

I know it seems like a lot of information to process, but long story short, when you get to Korea, ask your employer about getting your ARC. See if they'd be willing to help you get an appointment set up or even have a kind soul take pity on you and accompany you to the immigration office. Give them all of the documents mentioned above and you should be golden! Worry about the other stuff later.

The next thing you'll need to do is get your bank account set up, but now you have an ARC so anything's possible! 

Good luck!
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment